Monday, September 8, 2008

Socks

I started knitting socks about six years ago. Up until that time, I only knit with chunky yarn and swore I'd never knit with anything else! Then I saw an ad for Fortissima Socka Colori in a magazine an thought "WOW! That's the coolest thing ever!"



"Self patterning yarn? That's the coolest thing I've ever seen! Gimme some of that!" I said and immediately ran out and bought some. Only problem was, I didn't have a pattern. I know I found several patterns on the web, but for the life of me I can't remember where. I eventually bought a sock pattern booklet and began fighting with double pointed needles, which I'd never used before.

The part I remember best, is trying to Kitchener stitch the toe! Holy hell! I thought I'd had a stroke! Here I was...so close to finishing my first sock...and I can't...figure out...this...*bleeping *...Kitchener stitch! Aaaahhhhhhh! I'd stitch a few, then rip it out, then yell at Hubbo, then try again and repeat. After about six panic attacks and a near divorce, I finally locked myself in a bedroom and figured it out and I didn't look back.

That summer, I knit 18 pairs...but not a single pair for me. Over the past six years, I can't count the number of socks I've knit, but I've only managed to keep 2 pairs for myself. Well last night I finished pair #3! (for me!) While it's not really too exciting that I finished a pair of socks, it is exciting that I got to where a pair of my own to work today! Yeah!


No comments: