Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Short Row Heel

I've been knitting socks for several years and only use the short row heel. I guess I just like the look and the fit better than a square heel. I've been asked about this heel many times and because I do it without thinking, I have a difficult time explaining it! I think saying "wrap the next stitch" confuses people. It's not really difficult, it's just a matter of seeing it and understanding it.

I decided that it might be helpful to demonstrate a wrapped stitch. This demo heel was knit in contrasting colours, so the wrapped stitches would be visible.

So let's see how this goes!

Knit to the last stitch:


Bring yarn forward:


Slip next stitch as if to purl:


Move yarn back:


With left hand needle, slip stitch back:


Completed wrap:


Turn your work:


Completed heel:


Voila! It's as easy as that to wrap a stitch!

Next I'll try posting a whole pattern!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great pics. I've always had trouble with wrapping stitches, but...no more!